Wednesday 19 August 2015

What to do, what to do

You know the feeling, the weekend is looming large on the horizon and you feel a wave of excitement - no work! Relaxation! Sleeping!

But then it dawns on you - you've no food in, the teens are bringing friends round (who you aren't allowed to interact with in case you're embarrassing), the in laws are due on Sunday and you wanted to do some sewing or knitting or drawing, whatever is your thing.

How do you motivate yourself to get cracking?

In my mind, I break the day  into chunks - my time for doing my creative stuff, interspersed with sorting out the household stuff and relaxing doing nothing (ha!). My husband works shifts so I also have to take his start/finish time into account.

Recently, I have started a calendar of sorts with all the projects I want to start/continue/finish. Sometimes, the planned stuff goes out of the window but it doesn't matter, does it?  Our Etsy shop is stocked with items ready to ship so I am not against time constraints. 

A 'bionic gear bag' can take several evenings spread over a week so I chunk it up and do other things in between like cutting out, drinking tea, watching a bit of MLB baseball.
When I am sewing garments, I don't stop in the middle of an important bit like adding shirt cuffs or sleeves as you can easily lose your thread (no pun intended). As I said in an earlier post (http://www.williamgee.co.uk/sewing-mistakes-no-one-will-ever-notice/#.VdRXR5c7cyg) for WilliamGee.co.uk, I have sewn shirt sleeves on the wrong sides of my shirts because I didn't mark the pieces properly and so picked up my sewing after a break and it all went horribly wrong.

So how do fit your crafting into your otherwise busy life? Are you one of the brave ones who crafts & creates full time? Let us know, we'd love to hear from you.

And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment