Thursday 13 August 2015

5 things I love about sewing

I am a computer nerd, using & maintaining computer systems at work. I avoided Home Economics at school, loved fixing my old cars. I've never considered myself as having much of a creative streak.

But everyone has a creative streak, in some shape or another.

Sewing patterns appeal to the techie in me - pieces that go together in a certain order, in a certain way, allowing a 2D piece of fabric to become something 3D. 

I like seeing a detail on an item of clothing and working out how it was made. But I do not have the creative juices to come up with original designs except by combining details from various sources.

But fabric? Designs made by super creative people!
It is a tool and as such I am amazed at the designs made by clever clogs like Tula Pink and Amy Butler. And I mean clever clogs in a good way - talented, talented people.

Colours that go together.

Textures that can make a garment zing.

All from the creative vision of designers.

I can make things that no-one else has.
I can make things for other people in colours and combinations they want.

Not creative? Think again!

No comments:

Post a Comment